Skip to main content

Calendar Hill




Megaliths are everywhere, not far from where I live, even.  An how coincidental could it be that right around the corner from where I installed one of my sculptures in South Woodstock is the little known Calendar Hill.

"Strata" Commissioned by Beverly Fiertz, South Woodstock, 1998















Apart from obscurity, we share some common themes.  I was interested in earth forms when I did this piece, and also the play of sunlight.  Likewise, Calendar Hill is all about earth and sun.  While I knew of its existence from a few articles on the web, finding it was an adventure.  First indications were that it was adjacent to Rte 4 in West Woodstock but that was a false lead, so I asked at the Woodstock library.  The librarian had visited the site many years ago and told me it was just after the general store in South Woodstock and before the horse place.  My next stop was the store itself, which I knew quite well.  Very friendly people there introduced me to a man who happened to be going by it so I followed him up a long dirt road and then straight and up some more and then left  to where the gate was open.  There the woods give way to a huge open meadow of the kind that only Vermont has.


.

There was a light frost and the color of December



Besides Megaliths there are Chambers, or at least one that I could find.  It's the first thing you see on entering the area, nestled among the massive oaks that surround it.  There are other forms as well, platforms that may have supported structures, and a rectangular depression.  Doubtless, the trees came much, much later.








This is clearly a structure like no other.  The wood framing has been added in this century for security, but everything else remains the way it has for thousands of years.  Inside, light streams in from a chimney like construction at the rear, giving the space the sacred aura of an alter.



Where the light meets the floor the stone resembles nothing so much as a reclined head.  This womb like enclosure is very reminiscent of the temple of the moon which i visited in Peru.  We were not allowed to photograph there in reverence to the PachaMama.  It was much larger but similar in the way the light came in from above, creating a stage.  The first thing that always comes to mind is some kind of sacrifice, human or otherwise, but I think of this as more of a place of initiation.  When you finally turn to exit the experience is equally impressive.





The stones over head span the whole width, about 10 feet or more across.  I was impressed by the way their surfaces undulate, almost as if to eject you out into the light, newly whatever.  At least I hope that was the intent.

It's not obvious at first where the standing stones are to be found.  When I saw the one at the entrance to the meadow and the drill marks along its side I assumed that the land owner had bought it and placed it the way people do up here.


at first I thought it was a dead tree


drill marks on the right side are from the quarrying process

Although I was freezing I had to find the stones.  I felt beckoned by the stand of pines at the top of the hill.  They are magnificent and alluring.  Furthermore, there were vehicle tracks leading in that direction.





And when you get up there, there they are, off to the left!

The look like a bunch of guys, just standing there






This is a stone calendar, arranged so that when the sun shines through holes drilled in the rocks certain key dates, like the solstice are precisely rendered by where the light falls.  I now have to accept that the ancients had the technology to drill granite and that the first stone I saw is of the same ilk.  I have drilled granite.



"Limos"  granite, steel, wood, marble inlay
it took forever to drill the hole





Diamond bits are essential for this.  I have to assume that whoever did this was able to obtain diamond crystals from someplace like Treasure Mountain in Little Falls, NY
In other words, it's entirely possible that they had the tools.



a close look at the stone on the left reveals a hole at the top

























A closer look at the quarry marks shows the borings to be uneven
as though they were done with sticks and loose diamond crystals.  If they drilled the holes and filled them with water and it froze, that may have been enough to split the rock.  Its the way it happens naturally, and surely they didn't have dynamite.


Some kind of residue remains in the borings, perhaps slurry from the drilling.
 Whatever it is it has stayed in place a long long time.

One of several calendar holes













































































I forgot to bring my pendulum. I've read that this whole complex sits on a powerful ley line, but I'm not much of a geomancer anyway.  My interest is more in the way things are made.  The combination of high sophistication and crude technology is one I find very appealing and humbling.  The people who did this were close to the earth and the stars at one and the same time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mensola Tzeno

This is my first chance to work with an old friend, Designer Ezio Colombrino, on a project that we hope to take to market in the USA.  Ezio works in Naples, Italy and markets his designs in Europe through his website http://www.lunedesign.it He recently received a request for this piece by a person in Montreal. We tried to find someone here in the US to cut it on a CNC machine, but getting a prototype made turned out to be a fools errand. This is what it looks like on his site: I took a closer look at the parts and decided I could cut them myself, so...the fool is me.  Ezio asked me to document the process and that will happen on this page, beginning with step number one: preparing the drawings. I received a set the other day and discovered the first problem. The design was supposed to be 130 cm in length and it turned out to be 130".  Not a problem, really because I had planned to scale it down to 122 cm, or 48" at the customer's request.  I adjusted the scal

A Teaching Remembered

 After showing this to people recently, I decided that it's time to make it public. and to open it up to comments.  Be free to respond.  I also intend to write more on the subject as time allows.   Forward to The Incredible Journey, by Phil Morse   1968 A friend and teacher had the best description for my class at the Boston Museum School and what distinguished us in particular. “You were all looking for something,” he told me. Given the year, you know it would have to have been some way to blow your mind. A list of the consciousness raising experiments of a scattered twenty-three-year-old is not important here, except to say that they led me, ultimately, to the waiting room of one Marvin Solit, DO, an exponent of “body awareness”.  In the group sessions that Marvin led I met a man who told me, “I think I can help you.”  That man, Arthur Bryant, Bud to his friends, I have known for forty years. For me personally, and undoubtedly for most of my generation, the central issue was most

My Peru

On my recent return from Peru I culled my photos and wrote everything up as a PDF You can open or download it here http://www.philmorse.com/Peru